Tuesday, January 3, 2012

can we replace the ten commandments with the Jesus's two great commandments?

Yes.

I think we could.

But do we really want to?

I don't.

I like the Ten Commandments.  After all, Moses worked very hard
climbing up the mountain to get them from God and when he came
back down he lost it when he saw how the people were acting (see
the movie The Ten Commandments) and he smashed them - then
he had to start over.

If you read the Ten Commandments you can organizing them into
two groups as Jesus did:

~stuff that relates to God

1.  no  other gods

2.  don't worship statues of other gods

3.  don't take the name of the Lord in vain

4.  keep the Sabbath holy


not sure where this on goes:

 5.  honor thy mother and father


~about loving your neighbor

6.      do not kill anyone

7.      do not commit adultery

8.      do not steal

9.      do not lie


this one also seems to need a category of its own:

10.     be careful about wanting things that others have or it could get you in trouble
~~~

So I think what we have here is a set of rules for us to live by.

Sure - it doesn't cover everything - like some of the issues that are pertinent to
life today - but it's a start.

I like to have things laid out before me so I know where I stand.

And that's why I like the Ten Commandments.

I say let's keep 'em.
~~~~

But because I am a Christian - that's the way I was brought up  - and I like being a
Christian - I like Jesus' Two Great Commandments.

He makes it easier for people like me to understand.

He says - you only have to remember two things:

~love God

~love your neighbor


and - well - if you think about it - Jesus was right on.

So all we have to do is decide if we are willing do those two things.
~~~

I have housewife stuff to do and then I'm coming back to discuss all of the
above in detail.

Why - you might ask?

Well the Truth is  - folks - I like to write and I like to discuss religion.

And I welcome any and all comments so if someone is reading this and
wants to comment they are welcome to do so.

I'll be back.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Sue,
    When Jesus says to love God + love neighbor he is quoting summaries of the 10 Commandments from other books in the Old Testament (Lev 19 & Deut 6). We get into shaky territory when we want to divide Old Testament from New. Jesus said himself that he did not come to do away with the old, but to fulfill it. Take a look at the Sermon on the Mount in Matthew 5-7 and see how it is a fuller view of the 10 Commandments.
    When we try to keep the 10 Commandments, which we can't without the aid of the Holy Spirit, we are loving God & Neighbor.

    FYI, with school starting tomorrow I don't know how much time I'll have to consistently comment. But I will do my best to try and keep up.
    Praying for you,
    Jason

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jason - First, I really like having you comment on my religion blog. I know how busy you are and I will look for your comments when you have time to do that.

    I'm glad you brought up the Sermon on the Mount.
    I will read up on it so that I can use it as a post soon.


    Thanks Jason - for your interest and prayers.

    ReplyDelete