Sunday, January 1, 2012

Romans 7:15

For me there is only one translation of the Bible.

And that is the King James Version.

Anyone commenting here - of course - is free to use
any other translation.
~~~

Before I even attempt to discuss Romans 7:15

For that which I do I allow not: 

for what I would, that do I not;

but what I hate, that do I.

I would like to say a few words.
~~~

I am basically a New Testament person.  I love certain
parts of the Old Testament - such as Genesis, Exodus
Ruth, Samuel, *Job, Psalms, Proverbs, and Others.

For several years in a row every morning I read the Gospel
- a little at a time - over and over. 

The Gospel is the Heart of the Bible.

For me the Main Characters of the Bible are:

God/Jesus


moses

paul

Moses and Paul are - to me - servants of God.

But because I am basically a NT person - Paul
is more important to me.

Paul.

Not a very nice person really - was he?

Until one day on The Road To Damascus he was struck
down by a Blinding Light - and that Light was Jesus
Himself.

He was literally blinded by that Light and was left alone
in a room for three days to think about what happened.

And well - you know the rest.

Paul was so grateful that Jesus loved him enough to save him
from himself - that he spent the rest of his life showing his love
for Jesus - and showing others the Way.

Now I have never studied Romans as hard as some people -
because it is complex - and maybe because I really don't
want to understand it.

For you see Romans 7:15 holds the key to our relationship with
God. 

And once you get it - then you know what you can and cannot do.
(let me put it this way - if God calls me on it - I can plead ignorance : ] )
~~~

So  you see - I believe that in Romans 7:15 - Paul is saying that we
know what we should do  - what God wants us to do - but we won't
do it.  And what we do - well we do it because of our sinful self - and
it is hard to resist sin - isn't it folks.

The devil that I don't believe in is causing me to stir up trouble
for someone who is just trying to live his life in the best way he
knows how.

And here I am - my sinful self - trying to ruin that person's life.

So what should I do folks?  I refuse to go to a nunnery.
I'm gonna go after what I want  - but don't want to ruin
someone else's life.

I mean - when you've got nothin' you've got nothin' to lose.

But do I have to ruin someone else's life to get what my sinful
self wants?
~~~

I'm open to suggestions (besides going to a nunnery) so please
someone help me out here.

7 comments:

  1. Sue,

    I think verse 15 is not the main verse of the passage. We have to make sure we put every verse in its correct context. The gist of the passage is not found in verse 15, but in 24 and 25:

    24O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?

    25I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

    Without the beginning of verse 25, there is no hope at all.

    Praying that you find hope and deliverance today from the flesh through Jesus Christ alone.

    Josh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Josh - I should have known you'd be right on top of this. : ]

    I almost called you last night for advice but I
    wanted to see how I did on my own...


    The thing is - Josh - I have Jesus now.

    But it doesn't end there - as you very well know.

    As a Sinner - I'm gonna go after what is Inherent in me - Sin.

    And may the best man win.


    Josh - thanks and I hope you will continue to give your imput here.

    If I don't have a lot of interest in this subject I will write a new one tonight - or I'll write a new one anyway but the new one and this one can still be discussed.

    and there certainly lots of others wouldn't you agree?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sue,

    Romans is my favorite NT book. But I would disagree with you about 7:15 being the most important verse. I think that you have to look at chapters 5-8 as a whole chunk. Paul is talking about how those in Christ are dead to sin- meaning that it no longer condemns them before God. Therefore we struggle (7:15) to live holy lives before God because we still struggle with our sinful nature, but can be assured that if we are in Christ, than our struggle with sin does not affect our standing before him, hence 7:24-8:2. Also, we should desire to turn from our sin and live to righteousness.
    Romans 8:1-2 are some of my favorite verses.
    "There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. For the law of the spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death."
    I've gotten lots of comfort from this in my own struggles with my own sin.
    I would love to keep discussing this with you if that's what you would like.
    I'm praying that you!
    Jason
    I tried to sign in through my blog but it's long gone!
    If you are interested, I think that Colossians 3 works well with Romans 7!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jason - I would like to keep discussing this with you.

    I have copied down the Scripture that you mention - so that I can study it.

    I would like to say this to you now (I already told Julie):

    I know that - as incredible as it may seem - that I have never 'had Jesus' but as of the last two weeks I do now.

    How do I know that?

    I just know.

    And I like it. I like having Jesus.

    Remember all the griping I've done about God in the past? That's over now. I've made my Peace with God (except in private when I go at it with Him as it should be : ).)

    But I'm sixty-six years old and in love for the first time in my life. And I'm not going to give that up.

    I hope you will pray for me, Jason. And when you do - pray that I have discernment and good timing. But you don't have to worry because God is in charge, isn't He?

    And I know that God wants me to figure this out on my own - and that's want I'm gonna do.

    Of course there is another party concerned here too - and I need to talk with him about all this.

    And I intend to - on March 17th.
    ~~~

    I will return later after I read the recommended Scripture.

    Thanks Jason - for caring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jason - Romans 8: 1-2:


    There is therefore now no condemnation
    to them which are in Christ Jesus, who
    walk not after the flesh, but after the
    Spirit.

    For The law of the Spirit of life in
    Jesus Christ hath made me free from
    the law of sin and death.


    Do I desire to turn from sin and live
    to righteousness?

    Absolutely.


    But - Jason - it is the job of Jesus
    to work to keep me from walking into
    sin (The Lord's Prayer says: Lead me
    not into Temptation.)

    I have desired to sin before yet I
    clearly remember that when I was
    actually in that situation God
    simply did not allow it.

    Sure I was disappointed at first -
    but always glad that He was looking
    out for me.

    I believe God loves a good 'fight'
    from us - otherwise how boring would
    it be?

    Therefore I am going to put my trust
    in Him on March 17th - I'm not talking
    about being reckless - of course - but
    I will have a game plan - and I will
    carry it out.

    Looking back on my rather long and
    tumultuous but albeit boring life : ]
    I see a chance now to really start
    'living' and I trust God to see me through.
    ~~~

    More after I do some more work.

    You saw what a mess my movies are in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Colossians 3: Yes.

    But if we do as Colossians 3 says - and we succeed - then we are Christ.

    But we all know that there is only one Christ - Christ himself aka Jesus.

    We strive for Colossians 3 - but while we are striving we are still human - with human frailities - and with sin knocking at the door.

    We have to Hope and Pray that when we answer the door that God will stand in between us and sin.


    Colossians 3: 18 -

    I'm gonna do that if I ever get me a REAL husband.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Let me tell you about the ending of a book I have been reading.

    In this book the main character says that he - on his own Road to Damascus - had finally seen the Light.

    And he was glad - and even felt lucky to have seen this Light.

    And pledged to be a different person from that day on.


    And in my Heart I know that he was kept that Pledge.


    and that is why I do not fear to open the door

    ReplyDelete